When many still consider it a bad thing for health, why do I ❤ cholesterol? Here’s why:
- Cholesterol is an organic substance that is vital for health and wellness.
- It is an essential structural component or building block in cell membranes holding cells together so they don’t fall apart.
- Cholesterol, being a component of membranes, contributes to an efficient signaling and transport of substances and chemicals into and out of cells.
- About 75% cholesterol is produced by the liver to help keep the body healthy.
- The brain contains 20% of the body’s cholesterol to function properly for mood regulation, learning and memory.
- The following hormones and bodily constituents are made from cholesterol:
- Vit. D
- Bile – critical for digestion and absorption of fats and fat-soluble vitamins.
- Cortisol – the primary stress hormone, regulates metabolism, anti-inflammatory
- Sex hormones – Estrogen, progesterone, testosterone
- Aldosterone – essential for sodium conservation for regulation of blood volume and blood pressure.
- Myelin – 75% of the brain’s cholesterol is in this tightly-wound membranes that insulates the brain circuits.
- Synapses – transmit nerve impulses.
I’ll have a series of blogs in defense of cholesterol that has been demonized unfairly for decades.